terça-feira, 28 de abril de 2009

"Princesa Margarida" rebatizado "Macau"

A propósito dos mais recentes post's sobre viagens marítimas... eis uma curiosidade: um navio britânico de nome Princesa Margarida em 1931 e rebaptizado de "Macau" em 1961... quando foi comprado pela empresa de Hong Kong Shun Tak que assegurava as ligações entre as então duas colónias, a britânica e a portuguesa.
 The Princess Margaret was built in 1931 by Wm. Denny of Dumbarton for the LMS (London, Midland & Scottish Railway) route from Stranraer to Larne. She was 325ft long, 2838 gross tons, and carried 1250 passengers, with 107 first class berths, and 54 second. Her speed was 20.5 knots. She also ran some coastal cruises and trips to Bangor from Larne. In 1939, on the appearance of the new Princess Victoria, she was transferred to the Heysham-Belfast route, returning to Stranraer when the new ship was requisitioned for war service.
She was reconditioned after the war, being converted to burn oil in 1952. She passed to CSP (Irish) when the railways were nationalised, and was withdrawn in 1961, when the new Caledonian Princess arrived. She was sold to Shun Tak of Hong Kong, renamed Macau, and used to the port of that name. 

Sem comentários:

Publicar um comentário